Thursday, March 6, 2014

Oh, the PLACES I’ve Been! #46 - Fortnum & Mason

Fortnum &  Mason02

A most magical store exists in London called Fortnum & Mason. Don’t you just love the topiaries (albeit faux)?

Fortnum &  Mason01

Fortnum, meet Mason

In 1705 Hugh Mason had a small shop in St James’s Market and a spare room in his house. The Fortnum family had come to London from Oxford as high-class builders in the wake of the Great Fire, helping to establish the St James’s and Mayfair areas as the most fashionable in London. William climbed another rung by taking a post as footman in Queen Anne’s household - and the room at Mr Mason’s.

The Royal Family’s insistence on having new candles every night meant a lot of half-used wax for an enterprising footman to sell on at a profit – so while the Queen’s wages paid the rent, William’s enlightened sideline melted down into enough to start a respectable business. The rest, as they say, is grocery.

* above from http://www.fortnumandmason.com/

 

Fortnum &  Mason11

Fortnum &  Mason03

The physical store itself if just beautiful.

Fortnum &  Mason05

Fortnum &  Mason13

The first floor is filled with amazing teas and food. The containers themselves are breathtaking.

Fortnum &  Mason12

How does one choose? Note the tie that matches the signature aqua on the bags.

Fortnum &  Mason06

The second floor has a huge selection of varying styles of vessels in which to put your tea.

Fortnum &  Mason08

Fortnum &  Mason10

Fortnum &  Mason07

Of course there are the famous British hampers.

Fortnum &  Mason14

And yet another floor devoted to things that smell sweet.

Fortnum &  Mason04

A most magical place indeed!

What magical place will you share with us?

- The Tablescaper

 

17 comments:

Michele {Malaysian Meanders} said...

I would love to browse around Fortnum & Mason someday. Thanks for giving me a sneak peek. It looks even better than I imagined. I've always wanted one of those darling hampers, but I don't think I'd ever actually use it.

xinex said...

Wow! What a neat place to visit. I could stay there all day long...Christine

Mary @ The World Is A Book said...

I wish I had known about Fortnum and Mason when I was in England last summer. I probably wouldn't haven't gotten a lot of sightseeing done though. What a glorious place! Thanks for the virtual tour!

LuAnn Braley said...

I need to get at least one teacup. We have mugs or plastic cups around here. I'd love to have something different to have the occasional cuppa, know what I mean? Went to London in 1971 with my family (an uncle lived nearby), but I don't think we went to Fortnum & Mason. Of course that was, ohmigoodness, 42 years ago. *faint*

marisol@travelingsolemates said...

I love Fortnum and Mason! Have visited it twice but this is the first time I've heard about its history! Really interesting I love the topiary!

Poppy said...

London is so rich in exquisite specialty shops like Fortnum & Mason! They do everything so elegantly don't they? Really enjoyed tagging along with you to this beautiful store. Thanks so much for hosting and have a lovely weekend!

Poppy

eileeninmd said...

It would be a wonderful store to browse around. Thank you for the virtual tour and for hosting. Have a happy weekend!

Home change Home said...

Wow!
It's already in my list of places to go!
Thanks for sharing :)
Teresa

mzzbev said...

This is such a fun party. I learn so much about other places, cultures, people first hand. Thanks for hosting! :) -Bev

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

What an amazing store. I could spend hours and $ really easy in a place like that! Love the arm holding the light fixture!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Oh the hampers!!!
Jenna

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I was there years ago and barely remember it. Thanks for refreshing my memory with your beautiful photos...and thanks for hosting a party that gives us exposure to our travel posts!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I love his aqua tie that matches the bags! I wish I had known about Fortnum and Mason when I was in London. Thanks for the history!

Shelia said...

Hi Alma! Oh, what a wonderful place with lots of pretties. Thanks for popping in to see my cow creamer.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kathleen said...

Love those topiaries, thought they were real!

Cottage and Broome said...

I would like one of those hampers and lots of tea of course! Laura

Sarah said...

Definitely magical. Love the topiary cups and saucers and teapots. So whimsical!