Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hesitant to Entertain?

Quick Party 056
Welcome to The Tablescaper.
Do you ever hesitate in entertaining because you just don’t have the time…
Quick Party 026
…or the energy?
Quick Party 011
I was away for most of the summer and by time I got home,…
Quick Party 062
…I wanted to see my friends. I missed them.
Quick Party 015
We could have met at a restaurant but what I really wanted was that unbridled relaxing time to visit with my friends and not worry that I was holding a table or keeping the wait staff.
Quick Party 037
I relish the relaxing time of being in my home and with my  friends.
Quick Party 070
So, I pulled together a quick evening. Blue is my go to color. It’s in many of the rooms of my home.
Quick Party 029
I pulled out a bunch of my favorite pieces and dialed the phone. Does one “dial” a phone anymore or do we punch it? That doesn’t sound right either, does it?
Quick Party 038
I called my favorite panini place and ordered a varied selection. I asked them to cut them in threes so everyone could have a nibble and then I displayed them on this footed cake plate (Bombay, miss it!).
Quick Party 018
I also ordered a varied selections of salads and served them in my new ikat bowls from C Wonder (love that store!).
Quick Party 047
I clustered the flatware in cobalt blue glasses (recently got the flatware in clearance at Pier One) and let everyone help themselves.
Quick Party 034
I have several stacks of blue and white plates and chose these (Churchill, made in England, from Target ages ago).
Quick Party 041
I clustered the napkins in a cachet pot.
Quick Party 064
The roses were courtesy of Mr. Scaper.
Quick Party 005
Admittedly my friends thought I was nuts, but as the night lingered on, I knew I had made the right choice.
Quick Party 056
It was a good lesson. So many times I think of having friends over and hesitate as I think I don’t have enough time to pull it all together. It took me less than an hour to pull this together and I couldn’t have been happier that I did.
Tip: Don’t be hesitant to entertain. Use what dishes you have handy. Order in so you don’t have to do the cooking. Just do it!
I’m partying at: Let’s Dish at Cuisine Kathleen's;Yvonne at Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits; Katherine of Katherine’s Corner for Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop; Kathy of A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday;Sheri at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home; Susan at Between the Naps for Tablescape Thursday;Courtney of French Country Cottage for Feather Your Nest Friday;Alison of Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfold; At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday; Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday.
Happy to be joining The Pink Pagoda at her Blue and White Bash
- The Tablescaper

26 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a great way to entertain! The important part is getting friends together! hugs, Linda

Susan said...

Fabulous!! I love it!! You had an amazing little dinner party for all the right reasons and I know your friends felt the love and had a great time.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Barbara F. said...

Wow, it helps to be an organized person and to know when to "delegate" (i.e. ordering the panini's). You are the hostess with the mostess! Lucky friends. xo

Alycia Nichols said...

I never thought about that. Hmmmm...do we still "dial" a phone? That's one to ponder! Great idea to have a relaxing evening at home with your friends. That's the way to go!!! I love all the blue & white (one of my favorite go to color combos, too!), especially the neat Pier 1 flatware and that gorgeous cake plate. I miss Bombay Co., too. It was always filled with SO many great things!!! So now I'll just have to come shop at YOUR house for Bombay stuff! :-)

Marigene said...

You do blue and white as well as Kathleen does black and white! Your array of blue and white amazes me. I wish we had a good place to order out, but living in a little one horse town it looks like I will continue to do the cooking for my friends. Love the jeweled flatware.

kitty said...

That's a perfect way to entertain!! Everyone gets to enjoy themselves, most importantly, the hostess. Those dishes from Target are so pretty (sigh!).

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

You have described me to a T when I'm tired and just don't have the energy. Thanks for picking me up and giving me permission to dial for dinner. Merci beaucoup,
Sam

Gina said...

Beautiful blue & white! Great idea to enjoy some time with your friends. I bet it was a wonderful evening!

Cass @ That Old House said...

OK, great idea, gorgeous table ... but the main thing I am carrying away from this post is that there must be a store that I DON'T KNOW ABOUT.
What is C Wonder???
Help me, darlin' . . .

We were on the Island this past weekend... with a Blogger and her husband, at our beach house ... and I didn't get a chance to do Pottery Barn or WS in Riverhead. Sigh.

LOVE the Ikat bowls -- they are really neat.

Beautiful!
Cass

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Beautiful! I not only love your table, but your idea. After working all week, I'm not ready to entertain on Sat. night, but think I'm going to try your "carry-in" idea soon.

Diann said...

We perfect way to get together with friends. All the blue and white look so pretty.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

That sounds like a great spur of the moment party and I bet your friends absolutely loved it..Pretty everything..Happy Wednesday..Judy

xinex said...

You are such a good hostess. Ordering is a good idea. Your blue and white setting turned out really pretty and I know you all had a great time.....Christine

ann k said...

Wonderful post! I have been traveling a lot for work lately and just haven't had time to entertain, Your post has inspired me to go ahead and do it anyway! I love all of your beautiful blue and white, it looks great all pulled together!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

There is nothing like a gathering of close friends at your home....You obviously make people feel so welcome and you make everything hook wonderful.
Love your blue themed table...

Lulu said...

I'm with you when it comes to entertaining at home. Though sometimes hard to take the first step, the reward is the dynamic that comes from the effort. Your friends were lucky tomsitmat your table of blues.

Kathleen said...

C Wonder? Never heard you mention it?
Your friends are lucky to have you! How nice of you to do this for them, it looks lovely! So many pretty pieces!
I can't do the order in thing though. Once while I was still working I made up a tray of store bought goodies to put in the faculty room before the Cmas break. Everyone was so disappointed it was not homemade, I never heard the end of it! I know it would be the same now! Just like using paper plates for company, I wouldn't live it down! :)
So between the cleaning, shopping, cooking and table, sometimes I just don't invite! I think about it, but get tired!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

The food sounds wonderful ....but the presentation looks lovely!

Annie One Can Cook! said...

What a beautiful table setting--I'm sure your guests loved it! Thanks for sharing.

Entertaining Women said...

We are so on the same page. It's always about the relationships, and everything else is gravy. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

Rosemary & Thyme said...

Love this Idea. It looks so well put together. Blue and White is such a classic combination. It is perfection. And how lovely and thoughtful of you. I am sure it was a wonderdul evening.

Rosemary & Thyme said...

Love this idea. Blue and white is such a classic. It all looks spectacular. How thoughtful and gracious of you. I am sure that is was a lovely evening with your friends.

Two Succulent Sisters said...

Wow. Beautiful! Lovely to look at. Linda

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Your middle name should be hospitality! Love your impromptu tablesetting - the colors are classic and love how you cachet everything - the roses are a special touch. Always appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Sherry said...

Thank you for joining HSH!
Sherry

The HOME GIRL said...

This is so true! It's so nice to have people over and it doesn't have to be a chore. I need to do this more! It, in fact, is a New Years Resolution! Thanks for the great reminder. Everything looked beautiful!