Click photo to see this WEEK'S TABLESCAPE.

Catch up on recent happenings at The Tablescaper

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It’s My Party!

Birthday 122
OK, this is an incredibly photo heavy post. Perhaps the most photo heavy post I’ve ever had, so let me get the business out of the way before I put you to sleep with all of my photos.

I recently celebrated the 100th Seasonal Sundays. My THIRD Blog-a-versary, is this weekend. In celebration of both I’m having a GIVE AWAY of a $100.00 gift certificate to HomeGoods or TJMaxx. Click HERE for all of the details. This is it. The winner will be announced on this Sunday’s Seasonal Sunday post.
Birthday 102
Also, in celebration of my third blog-aversary I will host “Where do you keep it all? – Part 3” on Sunday, June 3, 2012. You can check out “Where do you keep it all? – Part 1” HERE and “Where do you keep it all? – Part 2” HERE.
I’ve said it before, don’t be intimidated. It doesn’t have to be pretty or perfect. But please do share. I don’t think there’s a single one of us out there that collect and have the issue of storage under control. That’s the problem with collecting. Just when you have it all away, you find a new treasure. But isn’t that part of the fun of collecting?!?!I hope you’ll join me.
Birthday 147
OK, now that the business is out of the way, on to tonight’s table.
Birthday 122
As I recently shared, my good friend Kim hosted a birthday luncheon in my honor. You can read all about it HERE.
Birthday 104
Well, this was a BIG birthday and there was a lot of celebrating.
Birthday 168
My family asked if I wanted a party and I said NO.
Birthday 182
But as time passed and the big day began approaching, I reconsidered.
Birthday 151
I didn’t want a big party in a restaurant or club.
Birthday 106
What I wanted was an intimate gathering with my closest of friends and family.
Birthday 146
As I was finishing the dining room redo (you can read more about that HERE) my wheels started turning. I thought I should have some event to celebrate the new dining room.
Birthday 166
I thought, what could be better than celebrating my birthday with my closest friends and family, in my new dining room, BUT…
Birthday 216
I didn’t want to do the cooking (yes, I do like to cook, but I didn’t want to do it for my own party) and I certainly didn’t want to clean up from the party.
Birthday 160
Light bulb moment. I catered the entire evening and even had a chef and server present!
Birthday 177
What could be better? I got to have the fun of setting the table, but without all of the other work! The PERFECT party for The Tablescaper!
Birthday 134
I enjoyed every moment of planning every single detail of the evening.
Birthday 193
The evening began at 7:00 pm with passed Hors d’ oeuvres:
  • Jumbo shrimp cocktail with Lemon and Cocktail Sauce
  • Warm Brie and Cranberry “Popovers” (pictured above)
  • crab Cakes with Lemon Caper Remoulade
  • Caramelized Onion and Gorgonzola Tart with Fresh Rosemary (I think these were my fav!)
  • Charred loin of Lamb on a Crisp Potato Pancake with Apple-Rosemary Chutney (amazing!)
  • Grilled Tuna “Nicoise” on a Crisp Cucumber with Haricot Vert, Red Potatoes, Sprouts and Lemon Vinaigrette
Birthday 129
Each place was set with the ladies receiving a very special party favor to hang around their necks and remember the evening by. After all, these were my closest of friends (albeit Kathleen had another engagement and couldn’t attend, Boo Hoo).
Birthday 214
The Sit Down Dinner began with a First Course of Lobster “Under Glass”. I had purchased these individual cloches a couple of months ago and was determined to use them. Henry, my most amazing caterer, and I invented Lobster “Under Glass” so I could put them center stage!
Birthday 188
It consisted of Poached Maine Lobster, Sweet Corn, currant Tomatoes, Avocado, Fresh Basil and a Champagne Vinaigrette.
Birthday 218
The Second course was a Potatoe-Leek Veloute served tableside with…
Birthday 221
…petite fresh peas, bacon and onions, served in my Grandmom Lillian’s Rosenthal creamed soups.
Birthday 226
The Main Course was a sight to behold, served on my new to me Limoges dinner plates via Ebay (Cherry Kay graciously held my hand – virtually – throughout the entire purchase).
Birthday 231
We had Grilled Filet Mignon with a Bearnaise Sauce, Local Asparagus, and…
Birthday 230
…a twice baked potato with a tattooed potato chip. Absolutely, without a doubt, the most amazing potatoes I have ever tasted.
Birthday 120
Petite Baguettes were served with Freshly Whipped Butter Rosettes (sorry I didn’t get a photo of those, but I was trying to enjoy the party itself too!)
Birthday 111
Champagne and wine flowed throughout the evening in my Waterford Araglin wedding crystal.
Birthday 262
Not wanting a cake, I clustered these gorgeous lemon cupcakes with a lemon filling.
Birthday 249
And the final course was my favorite Crème Brulee, served in my antique Limoges ramekins, accompanied by Fresh Berries and…
Birthday 248
…14 karat Chocolate Truffles (served on a Limoges luncheon plate – too much dessert for a cake plate! LOL!).
Birthday 253
The flavors of dessert were enhanced by a Pink Champagne served in a Villeroy and Boch flute.
Birthday 095
To say the least, it was a dream come true!
Birthday 115
I’m joining the following parties:
Let’s Dish at Kathleen’s along with Ivy and Elephants for What’s it Wednesday;Uncommonly Yours at Uncommon Designs;Open House Party at No Minimalist Here; for Susan at Between the Naps for Tablescape Thursday;Kathy of A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday;Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday;Sheri at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home;Courtney of French Country Cottage for Feather Your Nest Friday;Alison of Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfold.
- The Tablescaper

54 comments:

Barbara F. said...

Wonderful! You and your caterer did a fantastic job and the pink and gold table is magical. xo

kitty said...

Wow! That was a dream come true, for sure. That's how you truly enjoy a party...beautiful setting, lovely food, prepared by someone else and loved ones surrounding you.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

That is a "DREAM BIRTHDAY"! WOW I am SO IMPRESSED! I think you ALSO should have circled your neighborhood a few times in a LIMO, before MAKING your ENTRY!!! Your dining room is "GORGEOUS"! my VERY VERY Favorite thing is those CLOCHED pedestals with the Lobster under glass...The whole package is spectacular. Every one must have LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Happy 50th to you Again! I must admit it's my FAVORITE century I've had the honor of entering...
Big Squishy Hugs to you,
Donna

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

What a gorgeous table. The food look fantastic also. You certainly did a wonderful job of coordinating everything. Your dining room is lovely and the china is heavenly. How nice that you were able to enjoy it all. Happy 50th. Enjoy it all, it goes by so fast..Hope you are having a great week..Judy

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Happy Birthday... good for you for having the party catered...your meal looks delicious. The whole package of your cloche domes on your beautiful dishes is incredible. Have to tell you I'm confused as to why there were some linking up and then it closed. Never the less I'll see you on Sunday.... again Happy Happy Birthday I know you had a magical time. hugs ~lynne~

Kathe said...

Yes, a perfect party for a wonderful lady! You are so smart to have it catered and served so that you enjoy the evening. A birthday to be remembered for sure��

Shelia said...

Happy Birthday!!! What a wonderful party - gorgeous table, dishes and food! This is so elegant and the lobster under the cloches - oh, my Lord! :)
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

Robin said...

I honestly think you just described heaven to me! The table is amazing but the menu, oh the menu! All of my favorite things to eat from appetizer to dessert! What a great way to celebrate your birthday and your beautiful new dining room.

Robin
Robin Flies South

Diane said...

Happy Birthday!! I am almost speechless for the rest of the comment. Oh my! What a table - those gorgeous napkins and the lobster under glass in individual cloches??? Please! How awesome is that? Everything is perfect and what a birthday to remember with your friends!

Scribbler said...

Incredible! I am going to remember this idea -- does your caterer work in Bham???

I think I would make sure to wear a VERY loose dress to a dinner like this. That is a lot of food, and every bit of it sounds sinful. You sure do know how to throw a party.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Happy Birthday! This will always be a very happy memory for you!

Poppy said...

Wow! What an elegantly set table...I loved each and every detail down to the scrumptious food!The lobster under glass in those mini cloche add so much pizzazz to this beautiful table setting:)Wishing you a very Happy Birthday!Hugs,Poppy

Kathleen said...

Alma, it looks amazing! You did such a wonderful job on the table. Although I saw it before it was complete, I say the pics don't do it justice. Beautiful linens and fabulous china and crystal!
The food looks delicious, I love the menu!
What a treat for you and your guests, I am so sorry I had to miss it!
Thanks so much for sharing your big day with us.
Outstanding!

Aledia said...

Wow, I would totally love a birthday party like that! I'm sure you felt like a princess the entire evening...I love your beautiful china and those pretty rose napkin rings and place card holders are just so dainty.

I hope you have a wonderful night!
(hugs)
Aledia @ Plum Perfect

xinex said...

Belated Happy Birthday! Your table is absolutely gorgeous and adorable, one of the sweetest and prettiest I have seen! The food is incredible. You really outdid yourself here and rightly so, after all it is your birthday celebration.....Christine

Entertaining Women said...

I'm so excited to see your birthday celebration in all its glory. Don't you just love it when the vision in your mind actually comes to fruition in reality. The lobster under glass was the perfect 1st course, and the new plates are instant family heirlooms. I know that you'll use them often. I can already picture them on a knock dead gorgeous Christmas table. Can you? Every detail was just right. Pink champagne....the perfect final touch for those incredible desserts. I definitely plan on 'borrowing' some of the menu ideas. Happy Birthday! I'm going to start looking for some great caterers...my kind of entertaining! Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

chedeb5353 said...

WOW!!! What a great birthday! chedeb5353@hotmail.com

Alycia Nichols said...

There is absolutely nothing better than getting to have a great party that you don't have to cook for but get to do all the fabulous decor to your own personal specifications!!! We may enjoy cooking, but when it comes to celebrating...I'd rather let someone else do it so I can concentrate on what I do best!!! This WAS a special birthday, and it was only fitting that you should have that luxury! GREAT menu! I'm eating a bowl of popcorn for my dinner tonight that is now making me sick to my stomach! :-) I'm glad you got to use those terrific cloches for something really elegant. Your chef must have been a real doll to work with. I am so happy for you that you got to share your special day in a way that made you extra happy and able to enjoy it!

A Cottage in the Clouds said...

WOW! Absolutely gorgeous table and amazing menu! It would be a dream to be a guest at one of your parties!

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

Just...SPEECHLESS!! What a once-in-a-lifetime dinner! Thank you so much for letting us all join you!!!
Nancy

Sarah said...

Love it! Of course The Tablescaper needed a beautiful party with private chef and server. What a perfect way to celebrate the occasion. Your table with all the gorgeous tableware is like a priceless jewel. You outdid yourself on this one with the menu of incredible food and all the special detail filling the tables ~ Sarah

ann k said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate your Birthday!! Everything looks gorgeous. wonderful photos too. It was a delight just to read about it and drool!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Now that is the way to celebrate! I love everything about this party from the gorgeous tablescape to the luscious food! Happy Birthday again and congrats on such wonderful blogging success also. Linda

sweet violets said...

Happy 50th to you !!! And, WOW, I've never seen anything like this!!! You are amazing with impeccable taste and....what a creative spirit you have !!! Good for you girl!!! The table just sparkles in pink and gold with all your special elements.....and the caterer...WOW again!!! Can I be your new best friend and come to the next gathering????

Have a great week!!! hugs...cleo

Sandra Lee said...

That was amazing! There is so much detail and elegance and you created the perfect dinner party.

Jojo said...

Such a beautiful event!! Happy birthday! Poor Kathleen missed a gorgeous event. :-(

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Beautiful and delicious looking! I'm so glad you enjoyed your party your way. Good for you! I loved seeing food in the cloches. That was so neat!

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Ooops! And Happy Belated Birthday too! :))

Tricia said...

Many happy returns of the big day! Your birthday tablescape certainly set the tone for a marvelous celebration, and the food looked AMAZING! Every course made my mouth water!

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

WOW. What an amazing party! Every detail is incredible - a dream come true.....

*Almost* worth turning 50 for, yes?

Happy belated, with many more to come.

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous tablescape and party with us.

Sherry said...

What a gorgeous table and the food!! Magazine worthy for sure!
Sherry

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Honestly, I can't think of a better way to celebrate. There is nothing that would make me happier than to have a celebration in my own home catered by professionals and what a delicious menu. The table was gorgeous! Happy Birthday to you!!
♥, Susan

Linda Gilliam said...

Fabulously decadent!!! I adore every pic... and Happy Birthday!!!! Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all!!

Olive Cooper said...

Happy Birthday and you did it in style. I must say I chuckled at tattooed potatoes. My 50th is in two weeks and we may go out. hugs, olive

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Great tablescape. Happy Birthday. Love that candelabra.

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your Tablescape is Gorgeous for your Birthday party!!!.. This one is my favorite!!!
I hope you had a wonderful Happy Birthday
XXOO Diane

Betty Stapleton said...

Wow what a gorgeous tablescape, breathtaking, everything looked wonderful and delicious.
Happy 50th birthday.

Little Miss Maggie said...

This just leaves me speechless. What a great idea to use a caterer so you could concentrate on every detail. Loved it all.

Splendid Willow said...

Did you forget to mail my invitation?! (:

Heavenly!

Happy, happy! You have the best attitude and I am sure your friends and family absolutely loved to celebrate you.

Hugs from Seattle,

Mon

And you have style too!

Southerner At Heart said...

What a fabulous table and a fantastic menu! Did you bake the creme brulee in the Limoges ramekins? I would be afraid too but I guess that is their purpose after all. What a beautiful birthday!

Mary said...

Oh.My.Word...I'm too busy drooling at the dazzling dish-studded table and delicious menu to have a coherent thought! Lobster under glass and potato leek soup served in those cups~ it doesn't get any better! What a fabulous party, yes being able to set the table and have someone serve and clean up is a wonderful way to celebrate! Happy Belated Birthday :)

The Shop Around the Corner said...

Surreal. Yes, I'm speechless before such an abundant display of beauty. My favorite was the Lobster "Under Glass." Happy birthday, you lucky girl, and best wishes to all of your blog-a-versary guests this weekend.
MUAH!

Marcia

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

Wow, words cannot express how gorgeously stunning your table is. It is perfect, and the food looks divine!

Bunny Jean said...

Happy Birthday! I think you had the right idea by having it catered. The menu was outstanding and the table setting was just gorgeous! I love the use of different vintage dishes.

I was so happy to see that you shared this at my weekly Bunny Hop Party!

xoxo Bunny Jean
Wednesdays Bunny Hop Party

Pat said...

Tablescaper,
You designed the perfect dinner party! Happy Belated Birthday!
This is one of my favorite tablescapes. Very beautiful.
Pat

SwedishCorner-DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Wow, so incredible beautiful! Happy 50th birthday :) Love love love your tablescape!! So pretty - and perfect for your birthday.
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

Dani said...

Your b-day tablescape table was the best ever! Love the solver, the napkins and the FOOD! Love it all!
I AM visitting The USA in july, só hope I'll BE the winner Next weekend! :-)
Dani

Victoria Mische said...

I am speechless! Can't say anything but "WOW'! I have said this words before on your blog but this time, honestly, I am really fascinated with your tablescape! Beautiful and stunning! The beauty of your table floats every where I look around on your dining area!

P.S. Since the day I found your blog, you inspired me a lot and since I can't get over your table today so am just simply filling some encouraging support from me! I appreciate your wonderful ideas and wish you a good continuation. All the best for all your blogging efforts.

Universal Chair Covers

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Wow, what a fabulous way to celebrate your birthday with a Chef-Catered dinner. This was a wonderful week of celebrating for you. Happy Birthday again!

Beautiful table!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Happy Birthday and welcome to the Fabulous Fifties club! Your celebration was amazing and what could be better than a catered affair with your own beautiful dishes in your new dining room? The lobster and potatoes look delicious and so do the cupcakes! Congratulations on 3 years and 100 party weeks! Linda

Vicki Shead said...

Beautiful! Happy 50th. I had my big party last Sept surrounded by family up at a lake cottage 2 days before my daughter got married. That's the best kind of birthday! Those lobster under glass are to die for!!

Monica @ Texas Fiesta Ware Fan said...

Happy Beltated Birthday! I'm sorry I missed this post. WOW! So beautiful!! How wonderful is it to use our dishes!!

All The Pretty Dishes said...

Very lovely dinner and Happy Birthday!!

Pamela Joan said...

I think this has to be the most heavenly table scape I've ever seen. And then the fare! Not sure I could have eaten then; I'd just ant to take in the beauty of everything. Way belated happy birthday and again to the one coming up!
Thank you so much for sharing this.
Pamela