Catch up on recent happenings at The Tablescaper

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tortilla Soup

 

Tortilla Soup14

Although I love soup and make it quite a bit, I guess I don’t photograph it that often. Cheryl  of Tidy Mom is having a Soup-a-Palooza today, so I thought I’d join in with an old post of my Tortilla Soup.

Tortilla Soup23

Tortilla Soup22

Tortilla Soup10

Tortilla Soup

6 tablespoons olive oil

8 corn tortillas, chopped

6 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 medium onion, chopped

1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes

2 tablespoons ground cumin

1 tablespoon chili powder

3 bay leaves

6 cups chicken stock

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

6 cooked chicken breasts cubed

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro, and onion. Sauté 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Add salt and cayenne. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in chicken. Reheat. Garnish with avocado, sour cream and tortilla chips.

Adapted from Stop and Smell the Rosemary – A cookbook by the Junior League of Houston, Inc.

To see more about my Tortilla Soup tablescape click here.

- The Tablescaper

5 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love your Mexican table and dishes, they set a great stage for the delicious soup...yeah, I love soup specially for dinner, as here, in Cuenca, where I live is normally a cold spring all year round, so at night temp. drops to 55, so soup comes perfect. I'm American-Ecuadorian and I married my wonderful and handsome husband and this is how I live here for 36 yrs. this Feb. 25th. is our Anniversary, we got married in Las Vegas, Nevada.
XOXO
FABBY

Sweetladyelaine said...

I love soup! Your Mexican dishes are so pretty! I have been looking for different things to cook for dinner. I will try your recipe too! Thank you so much.
Blessings My Friend,

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I love all of the color! Now I am hungry. :)

Barbara said...

Your table and dishes are wonderful!! What fun to have all the accoutrements for your delicious soup.

Kathleen said...

Love the setting for your delicious soup!