Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Soup and Salad Party

IMG_8048
Columbus Day weekend provided the perfect time for a Soup and Salad Party!
IMG_8011
We gathered our friends around and each brought their specialty.
IMG_8012

Lots of crusty bread, oyster crackers, and big napkins to pull it all together. I used a chocolate brown banquet cloth and round pumpkin colored  placemats to set off each selection.
IMG_8008
So that everyone would feel welcome to try some of each soup, I set out cups and mugs, rather than bowls. In order to keep some harmony, I used only white or brown dishware. By the time I corralled all of my white mugs, cups, and consomm√© cups and brown mugs, I felt that I had enough. Amazingly all but one of the tureen’s are mine – acquired through the years.
IMG_8006
Some of the soups were very rich and…
IMG_8009
…some were more earthy.
IMG_8042 
The soup selections included:
  • Chicken Tortellini
  • Butternut Squash (made by our very own Cuisine Kathleen)
  • New England Clam chowder (also made by our very own Cuisine Kathleen – of course she had to bring two!)
  • Turkey Wild Rice
  • Sweet Potato Ginger
  • Lobster Bisque
  • Mushroom Barley AND
  • a nice pot of Chili
IMG_8016
The salads were amazing!
IMG_8023
My sister-in-law made this wonderful salad with pears of two colors, toasted prosciutto, and shavings of Pecorino Romano.
IMG_8025
My youngest daughter made this tossed green salad with nice big chunks of avocado and a balsamic vinegar dressing.
IMG_8018
My oldest daughter was feeling quite creative. She breaded and sautéed little rounds of brie and paired them with luscious raspberries. There were also a Greek Salad, a salad with cranberries and a salad with spinach.
IMG_8029
Have you ever had a party where you weren’t sure exactly how many people were there? I think we had 22 adults and 23 children of varying ages.
IMG_8041
Despite all of the homemade goodness at the main table, the dessert table was all store bought, except for Kathleen’s brownie pops (but of course!) To see more about the brownie pops, click here.
IMG_8039 IMG_8038
IMG_8035 IMG_8037
Even if store bought, we had many delectable goodies.
IMG_8046




The soup and salad party was the perfect way to bring  friends together for a relaxing day (and evening). Although the party started at 3 pm, one guest who had a delayed arrival due to work, didn’t leave until 11:20 pm! LOL! Or perhaps at that point, I was yawning out loud.
I wouldn’t have had it any other way and couldn’t have done it without the help of my wonderful sister-in-law, Anne.
We had a great day! Now all of the participants of Seasonal Sundays know why I was a bit tardy in getting to visit all of their beautiful posts.
IMG_8002
I’m joining the following memes. Be sure to visit them for inspiration:

  • Kelly the Kitchen Cop for Real Food Wednesdays 


  • Susan at Between the Naps for Tablescape Thursday 


  • Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday


  • Joyce at I Love Pretty Little Things for Friday Pretties


  • Gollum for Foodie Friday


  • Ann of Ann Kroeker on Food on Fridays


  • Jerri at Simply Sweet Home for Friday Favorites


  • Laurie   at Bargain Hunting with Laurie for Favorite Things Saturday


  • Lisa at Lisa’s Chaos for Macro Monday    


  • Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
    See you Sunday for Seasonal Sundays!
    - The Tablescaper
  • 50 comments:

    Susan said...

    What a wonderful meal! I LOVE huge get togethers with my large family and lots of friends and I might just "steal" your awesome idea! I love your tureens!
    Thanks for sharing such a lovely way to get together with family and friends!
    Susan

    Deanna said...

    Love the Fall colors! I think they add so much to a meal. Sure makes all the food look extra appetizing.

    Fantastic spread you had for your fellowship.
    Yummmmmmm.

    God bless and may you have a sweet life,
    d from homehaven

    Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

    Now this is my idea of a party. I love soup and that brie and raspberry salad will haunt me! Everything looks and sounds wonderful...and fun!

    Kathleen said...

    It was a wonderful party and I was so happy to be a part of it! The food was wonderful and you displayed everything so beautifully!
    Is it an annual event? Should I mark my calendar? :)
    Great job!

    Atelier de Charo said...

    A fantastic party and delicious food!

    Red Couch Recipes said...

    What a great party! It's perfect for a large get together. I am loving all your tureens! The soups all sounded so yummy! I am a major soup lover! Great pics and great displaying of all the food. Joni

    Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

    It's a good thing I wasn't there because I would have picked up the tureen of sweet potato ginger soup and had it all to myself. And those two salads look delicious! This is a great idea. Linda

    Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

    What a great party that must have been! All those delicious looking soups and salads...I'm drooling!
    I love the set up of all the lovely soup tureens and mugs. Thanks for sharing!

    Anita said...

    I am just amazed! What an incredible idea and all those tureens!! I have exactly one! I'm so hungry now I can't think of what I was going to write, but it looks like the perfect party! What a great idea to use cups. Love it!

    Table Escapes said...

    YUMMMM! Everything looks soo scrumptious! The white china is so elegant used with the pumpkin color. As always, my hat's off to you. Have a wonderful week. Sharon

    Celly B said...

    What a fabulous idea for a party! Your collection of tureens is wonderful, and you put them to good use! I love your idea of setting out mugs so that everyone can have a small sample of the different kinds of soups!

    Chris said...

    How absolutely divine!! You are so talented and have such a lovely way of displaying and decorating. Thanks for stopping by my Shabby Shriek blog

    Paige @ The Wandering Cottage said...

    The soup and salad party is a great idea. It is so nice to open your home.

    Carol at Serendipity said...

    What a wonderful party! Everything looks just delicious. I'm sure everyone had a great time.

    Carol

    Barbara said...

    What a fabulous idea for a party! And those tureens are gorgeous. We used to do fun things like this when we lived in Michigan. Florida just doesn't get into that fall mood.
    I am so enjoying your tables, parties and food!

    lulumusing said...

    What a great idea to have everyone bring a soup. I'm all into shared meals these days; in fact, had one last night and each person's contribution was just right. You and Kathleen seem to have such good times together...I'm envious!

    Style Sisters said...

    What a fantastic scape! All of your awesome soup tureens!! All the salads and soup sound delish! I love pears in salads. Great ideas!!

    Karin

    Marlis said...

    I love the idea.. Wow. that was a lot of folks. Your tureens are amazing. Thanks for sharing this with us. Your buffet scape was remarkable.

    Rettabug said...

    Gosh, this looks like a wonderful way to entertain on an autumn afternoon (and LATE into the evening!)
    I'm bowled over (pun intended) by all the tureens you own. I don't have any. :*-( Must keep looking for at least one.

    I love all the delicious salads & each of those soups sound awesome!
    I sure with I lived closer to you & Ms. Cuisine so we could shop & eat together!

    I've been under the weather for a bit & not getting around to visiting all my favorite haunts. Forgive my absence, please? I must go back & catch up!

    Sweetladyelaine said...

    Your party looks wonderful! I just love the idea of sharing a meal of soup and salad with family and friends! Everything just looks so yummie! Thank you for sharing....

    Alycia Nichols said...

    Absolutely gorgeous, and the food all looks scrumtious!!! Soup and salad parties are the best! Great fall party!!!

    Bill said...

    The soups sound delicious and the salads look amazing (beautifully photographed!). I love the concept of the party. It sounds as if you and Kathleen outdid yourselves. Off to read about her brownie pops now! Hope you have a great weekend!
    Bill

    Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

    Positively fabulous meal and setting!! My kind of get together for sure....warm, welcoming and full of wonderful fellowship :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    P.S. Pop over and enter in for my SPECIAL giveaway :)

    Chari at Happy To Design said...

    Hello friend...

    Ohhh my...everything looks absolutely gorgeous! What a fabulous idea for a party...soup and salads! I just love how you decorated for it...all those beautiful soup tureens and pretty mugs and cups! That was a great idea! A beautiful autumn table, my friend! Ohhh...and those soups and salads look divine!!! Yes, I would have had to try a little of each! Hehe! Well my friend, you just did a fabulous job decorating...and hostessing! It looks like everyone had a great time! I would have loved it!!! Thank you for sharing your party with us...such a treat!

    Thank you so much for coming by and taking a peek at my Autumn Enchantment tablescape! I really enjoyed your visit and sweet note, my friend! Thank you!!!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    black eyed susans kitchen said...

    I think we are all thinking soup...your table is just beautiful and I love the idea of a party with soup as the theme. It is all really lovely and soups sound delicious.

    SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

    What a wonderful party idea and lovely array of soups and salads! Oh my! I'm not surprised Kathleen brought 2 soups plus those chocolate pops. She is an amazing cook! I wish I could go shopping with the two of you :)

    Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

    I guess my invitation got lost in the mail (sniff-sniff). This looks so beautiful. How very clever to only use a limited color pallate! It is just so eye catching.
    I would love to have the recipe for the lobster bisque.
    I see you had fabulous pumpkin colored napkins! WOW!Did you have enough for everyone?
    Where did everyone sit? NO wonder your guests stayed till after 11:00... you would have found me in the guest room!!!!!
    What a great, great post!!!
    xo Yvonne

    Erin @ EKat's Kitchen said...

    What a great idea for a party! Awesome theme and great-looking soups!

    Dreamgoddess said...

    My goodness, everything looks so wonderful! I would love the recipe for the raspberry salad...I was totally drooling over it.

    Pearl Maple said...

    love your post full natural colors of the season

    ButterYum said...

    Ahhh - can you hear me gasping from VA??? What a stunning array of white china, delectable food, beautiful tureens, and wonderful decorative touches everywhere. Eye candy all around!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    Scribbler said...

    What a great idea for a party -- I am definitely bookmarking this to save!

    Find me at http://scribblerunfocused.com

    vignette design said...

    You know when you are viewing a post and you can't wait to comment? Well that's how it was with your "Soup and Salad" post. I was hanging on your every word and gorgeous photos. Wow! I like to see a tablescape made for a real party, and your party looks like it was so much fun. You staged everything beautifully. And your tureens! Amazing. Love the setting in your home too. The rich paneled walls lend an ambiance to your party. I am definitely going to have a party like this too- hopefully this fall.

    Sherry said...

    Wow! That was wonderful. I love the menu and I was so impressed you had Kathleen over. You two outdid yourselves. What a wonderful spread. I bet it was fun.
    Sherry

    JoMo said...

    Wow, lovely table, looks like it was delicious. We celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada and pumpkin pie was the highlight!
    Cheers,
    Jo

    bj said...

    LOVE LOVE LOVE all of this.
    OF COURSE, our Kathleen would bring all homemade dishes...yep...she surely would and I know all the food was delicious.
    Now, I was sure hoping for a photo of you ladies...it would be nice to put a face with all the names. Most everyone shows us their face..but not Mizz Kathleen...and I know she is beautiful.

    bj said...

    LOVE LOVE LOVE all of this.
    OF COURSE, our Kathleen would bring all homemade dishes...yep...she surely would and I know all the food was delicious.
    Now, I was sure hoping for a photo of you ladies...it would be nice to put a face with all the names. Most everyone shows us their face..but not Mizz Kathleen...and I know she is beautiful.

    Christie said...

    I just love SOUP! This looks like so much fun and everything is just beautiful! Vanessa at Southern in my Heart is having a soup party on her Sister Saturday...think it might be this weekend...you should link this up! Her button is on my side bar! I enjoyed this! Christie at Three Pixie Lane

    bella (roz) said...

    Oh my gosh, what a gorgeous gathering of both food and tablescaping you had! WOW! I truly believe that if you don't do this for a career, you need to be doing it as soon as possible. If I could only put together ONE of your tablescapes, I'd be immensely happy! Please stop by and share this post on my Seasonal Saturday get-together that does not end until Sunday evening Pacific time. I highlighted your post that you shared a few weeks ago and also wanted to thank you for that inspiration. May I participate in your Seasonal Sundays, or is it decor/tablescape only? thanks again, Roz at La Bella Vita

    bella (roz) said...

    Oh my gosh, what a gorgeous gathering of both food and tablescaping you had! WOW! I truly believe that if you don't do this for a career, you need to be doing it as soon as possible. If I could only put together ONE of your tablescapes, I'd be immensely happy! Please stop by and share this post on my Seasonal Saturday get-together that does not end until Sunday evening Pacific time. I highlighted your post that you shared a few weeks ago and also wanted to thank you for that inspiration. May I participate in your Seasonal Sundays, or is it decor/tablescape only? thanks again, Roz at La Bella Vita

    Entertaining Women said...

    This is so right up my alley. I'm late exploring this week's Tablescape Thursday because I hosted a large luncheon on Friday. I love the thought of soups and salads instead of salads or desserts. Perfection as I always find from you! Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    laurie @ bargain hunting said...

    Oh My Goodness! So many wonderful tureens. So many wonderful soups and salads. Only you would own enough tureens to do this! (Yes, I often try, after everyone leaves, to count up how many came to our family/friend gatherings). Your gathering looks like it was a wonderful party. Thank you for linking it to Favorite Things Sat. laurie

    amatterofhowyouseeit.com said...

    So many delicious looking images of food. I especially like the close up shot of the raspberry & brie salad.

    leavesnbloom said...

    Its been ages since I last visited you. What a wonderful get together you had.

    http://leavesnbloomphotography.blogspot.com/2010/10/caryopteris-heavenly-blue-macro.html

    Fotobloggen 2010 said...

    WOW, that looks wonderful. Your friends are lucky ones to be invited to this. I would not mind tasting most of it so I do understand they had to stay for a long time :-)

    christina, Sweden

    Colleen said...

    What an amazing party. I would love to have or attend a party like that. Now I'm really craving some soup. YUM!

    Paige Thomas King said...

    Absolutely fabulous! I can't believe you have all of those tureens.
    You have inspired me to make some soup! And that sauteed brie salad!!! Gotta figure that one out, too!
    Paige

    Vintage Home said...

    ...That looks amazing...wow!...i can't concentrate i am so hungry looking at all the yummy food!
    But best of all ...sharing your home with friends..the best gift ever!....
    p.s. i love the brown dishes!!!
    well of I go I must read more of your links!..& stare at the food some more!

    Ames said...

    This is a wonderful idea! We need to eat healthier and this sounds like a great idea for family gatherings.
    The tablescaping is beautiful as always. I have one of those little bowls with the lion heads on it. I was wondering if it was porcelain or ironstone? Chinese? Not sure, there are no markings on it. ~Ames

    ~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

    Hi lovely lady, I gues my Invitation got lost also. Your tablescapes are so Beautiful~~ I love the Idea of a Soup Party so much fun~~ With family and friends.