Catch up on recent happenings at The Tablescaper

Friday, August 20, 2010

Buffalo Mussels

IMG_5574
One of my MOST favorite meals is Buffalo Mussels!
IMG_5572 Many many years ago my friend Sheri and I had dinner at a local restaurant that specializes in Belgian food and serves Pots of Mussels.
IMG_5580  They have many different types of mussels, but the ones that caught Sheri’s and my attention were the Buffalo Mussels.
IMG_5574
They were delicious and so I set about to recreate them at home.
IMG_5576
Whenever Sheri visits (she has moved way too many times since that dinner) we always have Buffalo Mussels and this visit was no exception. The only problem is that now some of our children are enjoying them as well – less for us! LOL!
IMG_5566
I did a LOT of experimenting to get the recipe just right. Sheri often warns me to never eat them in the restaurant again, as she thinks mine are much better.
IMG_5565
  • Clean and debeard your mussels (I usually make around 3 pounds)
  • Place mussels in a large pot and add white wine until there is about 3/4 of an inch of white wine in the bottom of the pot
  • Add one large bottle of hot sauce (Louisiana, etc. – I haven’t seen any real difference in the brands for this recipe)
  • Cover and steam until the mussels open; The amount of broth will have increased as the liquid is steamed from the mussels themselves
  • Sprinkle crumbled bleu cheese over the top and recover.
  • As the bleu cheese melts spoon into serving bowl
  • Serve with large chunks of French bread so as to soak up all of the wonderful broth
IMG_5582
I’m joining Gollum at Foodie Friday. Stop by and visit all of the tasty sites.
If you haven’t already, you might want to take a look at the tablescape at which these mussels are usually served.
IMG_5871
Click here to see more of the tablescape.
Looking forward to seeing you at Seasonal Sundays! It’s all about what this SEASON means to YOU!
Seasonal Sundays-Summer NONBLURRY copy
- The Tablescaper

11 comments:

koralee said...

Love your mussels my friend...I could eat them all in one sitting. Another lovely table ...you amaze me! xoxoo

Mimi said...

OMG, that sounds delicious, anything with bleu cheese has to be good! Next time I am in the city, I will see if Costco has mussels so we can try this. Sometimes they have them and sometimes not.

Sarah said...

This looks like a tasty meal that my husband would love. Unfortunately for me, I don't eat mussels. One really bad experience did for me. :-)
Loved seeing that beautiful table again. Enjoy your weekend! ~ Sarah

Vintage Home said...

WOW...Love your table...don't you hate it(not really) when the kids start liken the yummy food!

Allie and Pattie said...

Oh, do I ever miss the mussels we used to have on Long Island???!!! They are so pricey here that we just don't get to enjoy them as often- these look wonderful!
xoxo Pattie

lulumusing said...

I love mussels just about any way they are fixed, but I haven't tried them quite this way. Next time I come in with a bucket full, I'll test this recipe out.

Cabin and Cottage said...

Well this looks like a pretty exotic dish for New Mexico! Would love to try them. Your sea glass table is so beautiful. Jacqueline

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

This sounds SO delicious!!! If you can't use the hot sauce, What would you substitute???
Hugs for this WONDERFUL recipe, Donna

xinex said...

Your mussels look wonderful and looks so befitting to go on that beautiful tablescape.....Christine

bj said...

Hi...came by to link up...I'll be back in the morning. :)
xo bj

Kathleen said...

How did I miss the mussels? Mike loves them! We do them in my mom's steamer pot. My sister from TX requests them every time she comes.
Can't you get them in the Bay by you?
I will have to tell him about the blue cheese.
I am glad you got to enjoy them with your friend!