Click photo to see this WEEK'S TABLESCAPE.

Catch up on recent happenings at The Tablescaper

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Autumn Azure

Welcome to Tablescape Thursday. Click the button below and visit Susan at Between the Naps on the Porch for more tablescapes. Also, be sure to visit Rhondie's Fall Party for some great inspriation to get ready for this lovely season.
One usually associates autumn with bright vibrant colors - oranges, reds, yellows and greens. Today's tablescape views the serene side of autumn
The soft blues, creams, and whites.
Touches of brown for the autumn wheat.
A lidded pumpkin entwined in delicate vines filled with a warming soup.
A step back to the days of wheat.
With a subtle splash of grey blue.
The lusciousness of white pumpkins near the reflecting glass.
A sip of something warm to soothe the soul.
A ring of leaves.
And acorns adorn...
All inspired by a blue pumpkin.
and a glistening white china gourd.
A pumpkin soup tureen with it's tendrils interlacing it's ladle.
For a calm, serene, soothing autumn display.
  • I did a bit of searching about blue pumpkins as they are on the unusual side. The best web site that shows photographs of pumpkins, squashes and gourds that I could find was KCB-Samen. It's a company that was an outgrowth of someone that was so interested in pumkins. squashes and gourds that they started a society. As best as I could tell, although when I purchased it my pumpkin was labled a "blue pumpkin", it appears to be a Bounty, or an Etna or a Grey Star. I'm not really sure which one it is, but one thing I feel pretty certain about is that the little white pumpkins are baby boos.
  • I found the amazing knives at a tag sale this summer. They are Solingen Stainless knives made in Germany. Little did I know that my little purchase had such a history.
  • I feel that the plates in this post were destined to be mine. They are Glamour by The American Limoge China Co. - Made in the USA - Sundale, as when I was first beginning to collect china I went to my local charity drop box to drop off several bags of china. There at the foot of the drop box, with the big printed words DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OUTSIDE THIS BOX, was a delapidated box which held these dishes. I must admit at first I felt a bit odd taking them, as they were left for charity, but as they were never put in the box and since I had left many a donation inside the box I felt they must be destined for me. They've sat never used in my basement for years as I'm not a big 40's wheat fan, but somehow this tablescape unfolded. They were fall with their colors of brown and rust and there was just a touch of blue. When I brought home the blue pumpkin, they seemed a match!
  • Blue Depression Glass footed glasses
  • Martha Stewart placemats
  • vintage napkins
  • Walmart napkin rings
  • Tag sale, unmarked, blue leaf plates
  • Lidded white pumpkin bowls - Christmas Tree Shops
  • White pumpkin soup tureen - Mikasa
  • Stainless flatware - Oneida
Thanks so much for visiting. Kindly leave a comment. Thanks.
- The Tablescaper

29 comments:

Kathleen said...

You made it! I have been waiting so I could go to bed!
You are right, I would never have thought of those blue leaves with the brown..but it all looks wonderful!

Aren't you glad you decided on those pumpkins?? They are so pretty.
You should get a big blue Hubbard squash from the farm for this table! :)
Lovely table!

niartist said...

Love those mini pumpkin soup tureens! Love the whole thing! This is great! Thanks for sharing! Come by and check out my giveaway - I think you'll like them! :)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh this is quite lovely! And yes - serene! Those pumpkins are wonderful -- love your fall look today - so different from the normal fall hues (which I also love) -- I do love this.

MissB said...

Love your tablescape! So pretty with all the pale pumpkins.

susan said...

I love blue and brown together (and blue and white, and blue and yellow..you get the picture :) This lovely because it is different. I love those little pumpkins--perfect for soup!

Jeannine said...

Wow!! This tablescape invites me to sit and start with a little soup and go on from there. Great job!

Joyce said...

Feel free to come to my house any time and decorate my table. Your tablescape is just so pretty. I loved the story behind the plates.
Joyce

Bill said...

Such a soothing table! I love seeing the soft blues and browns combined. They complement one another in such a quiet, understated way. Your photographs look great, and I like your concise descriptions.

Congratulations on another wonderful contribution to Tablescape Thursday!

Regards,
Bill

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh, lovely table! My autumn never looks this serene, but I love your setting, and am IN LOVE with that pumpkin tureen. Gorgeous, all of it!
Cass

Sarah said...

Love, love, love the feel of this table. I so like that we can get white pumpkins in recent years. I think they are so elegant. Your table is definitely ELEGANT! The tureen and the little minis are wonderful. ~ Sarah

Mary said...

How very lovely. I love your color palate and the use of ghost pumpkins with items you'd normally associate with the sea shore. It work nicely. I also love the handles of your flatware which is very unusual. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Brenda said...

That tureen is just precious! I love all your pumpkins and fall decor. The flatware is beautiful. This entire tablescape looks like something out of a magazine in its elegant nod to the season.
Brenda

Deanna said...

Your Autumn Azure for Tablescape Thursday is really neat.
You've done a great job and enjoyed seeing this.

Autumn blessings,
d

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE the white gourdes and pumpkins... so elegant!

Pinky said...

What a wonderful, unusuak but beautiful Fall display! I love all the details! The flatware is scruptious!!! Please stop over to see my table too if you get a chance! Thanks so much! Pinky

Ms. Bake-it said...

My initial response was - oooh. I love it! You truly have created calm, serene, soothing autumn display. I love the muted tones.

Thank you so much for sharing!

~ Tracy

Julie said...

The tureen is wonderful! I love all your pumpkins and fall decor...
xoxo
Julie

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Girl, Now this is just awesome looking...OMG I love it all...that white gouard is a beauty for sure and your china WOW!! I always love coming here and seeing what your up to always great...Thanks...Hope you have a wonderful weekend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Sedona @ MyDivineDelights said...

Oh, I love the colors! The blues, browns and creams...so nice!

Eileen said...

This is the prettiest, most elegant Fall tablescape I have ever laid eyes on!
I hope you don't mind but I'm stealing your idea for my own table!

I really love the 'spice' of Fall and all the Autumn colors, but this table is so soothing! And it's not at all summery looking, even with all the cream it's still very much Fall.
Great job! LOVE IT!!
All the best,
Eileen

Dining Delight said...

Love those white pumpkin bowls! Your 'scape is beautiful with the serene colours...makes me think of fall going into winter - I know, a little early but I love snow! Terrific tablescape, thanks for sharing!

DD

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This is very pretty! A nice change from the usual fall colors. Love the soft blues!

Katherine

Rettabug said...

Who could imagine there are that many different shades of white?? Soothing & soooo different....your table evokes calm thoughts & restful vibes.

I ♥ your little lidded white pumpkin bowls! We don't have a Christmas Tree store near us, but I'm going online right after I hit "post" to see if they are available to order.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas with us. Oh & YES, those dishes were meant for you. Serendipity, for sure!

Phyllis@AROUND THE HOUSE said...

I adore those individual tureens the cream colored pumpkins, I really the whole tablescape, I will just have to be a follower, love your taste in dishes, my first tablescape will be Thursday, I have done a wreath, I am new can you tell...come visit Phyllis

Linda Q said...

Wow, I am just loving this brown, white and blue table, stunning!
Linda Q

the undomesticated wife said...

All I can say is wow!!!

Carolyn said...

I just visited your site for 10/1 tablescape and scrolled down to find this absolutely beautiful table. As much as I adore fall colors, this blue, white & brown table is my favorite. I love everything about it. Thanks for sharing this lovely table.

Tammy@InStitches said...

wow, I love it ! You are making me want to do a white table....... and get a tureen.

Zuni said...

Love this table! I don't have any white pumpkins, but I'm really thinking I need to expand into that arena... The individual soup bowls and the tureen are beautiful!